With harmful chemicals contained in everything from your mattress to your pots and pans, it is hardly surprising that indoor air can often be up to five times worse than outdoor air, leading to some extremely detrimental health issues. While it may be impossible in this day and age to completely banish all the chemicals from inside your home, there are certain steps that you can take to minimize the amount of exposure you have to them. Here are some of OROGOLD’s top tips for cleaner indoor air.
No Smoking Indoors
If you, or any of your friends or family members, smoke indoors, this is something that needs to stop if you are concerned about the quality of your indoor air. The smoke from a cigarette that fills the air after each exhale contains over 4000 different chemicals, and no matter how careful you may be, there is no getting away from that second-hand cigarette smoke.
Open Your Windows Regularly
This may seem like an obvious tip, but it is one that many neglect to do on a daily basis, especially during the cold, winter months. However, opening your windows for at least ten minutes a day will significantly help to lower the concentration of toxic chemicals in the air, as well as carbon dioxide.
Use Air-Filtering Plants
There are certain houseplants that are great at eliminating toxic chemicals. Although they will only do this on a small scale, their foliage and roots can still absorb certain chemicals, cleaning the air for you. English ivy, Variegated snake plants and Peace lilies are all ideal for this, but OROGOLD reminds you to never ingest the leaves and berries from the ivy or lily, as they can be toxic.
More often than not, regular paraffin candles do more harm than good to the quality of your indoor air, as they release chemicals while they burn, from benzene to toluene. Unlike paraffin candles, which are usually derived from petroleum, beeswax candles burn with no scent or smoke, and release negative ions into the air which helps to clean it. They are also extremely effective at removing common allergens from the air, such as dust. While they may cost more than regular paraffin candles, OROGOLD reminds you that beeswax candles burn much slower, meaning that they last for a lot longer.
Keep Indoor Humidity Between 30-50%
When the humidity inside your house is between 30 and 50 percent, the growth of molds and dust mites is severely limited. Many molds produce mycotoxins and allergens, resulting in a variety of symptoms, from runny noses to skin irritations, even in people that don’t usually suffer from allergies. To control your humidity levels with ease, OROGOLD recommends investing in a dehumidifier.
Poor indoor air quality can cause so many different problems, both short term and long term. This is why OROGOLD strongly urges you to start paying attention to the quality of your indoor air, taking measures wherever possible to make sure that it remains as clean and as beneficial to your health as possible.
Leave A Comment